Credentials and training aside, it is Dr. Specht’s empathetic, gentle and kind approach coupled with his innate ability to personally connect with his patients and their families that pave the way for his highly collaborative, thorough and effective treatment plans. His child-focused, yet highly parent-involved strategies have led the industry and make him truly unique.
Dr. Specht is licensed in CT, NY, and MD, and resides in Fairfield County with his wife and two school-aged children.
DR. SPECHT’S CREDENTIALS AT A GLANCE:
- 15 years professional experience as a clinician, researcher, and professor at Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medicine
- Sought after guest lecturer at leading medical institutions and professional organizations including Harvard University/Mass General and Yale University
- Personally evaluated and treated over 1500 patients
- Articles & research published in more than 40 scientific papers, reviews, and book chapters in leading medical journals including Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Behavior Modification, Behavior Research and Therapy, Journal of Child Neurology, and Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Residency at the University of Maryland, Baltimore/Veterans Administration of Maryland Health Care System
- Fellowships at VA Maryland Mental Illness Research Education & Clinical Center and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
WEILL CORNELL MEDICINE
- Associate Professor/Associate Attending Psychologist
- Principle Investigator for the Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics (CBIT) 10 year follow-up longitudinal study
- Expanded the philanthropically funded NewYork-Presbyterian Youth Anxiety Center (YAC) to Westchester county
- Developed a Weill Cornell Medicine clinic focused on the treatment of anxiety in children, adolescents, and transitional age youth (4-28 years)
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
- Assistant Professor/Assistant Attending Psychologist of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Principle Investigator for the ground-breaking Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics (CBIT) and Effects of Tic Suppression studies
- Opened one of the first clinics on the East Coast to offer CBIT
- Facilitated expansion of Pediatric Medical Psychology to most subspecialty areas (Neurology, Cardiology, Oncology, Dermatology & Gastroenterology)
- Involved in most large randomized-controlled trials designed to determine the relative effectiveness of medication, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), their combination (Meds+CBT), compared to placebo for Anxiety, ADHD, Depression, Tourette’s, Stereotypies
Talk With Us
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. A MEMBER OF THE C-OATS TEAM WILL RESPOND BACK WITHIN 24-48 HOURS UPON RECEIVING YOUR MESSAGE.